HOMOEOPATHIC CLINIC & RESEARCH CENTRE
“The highest ideal of cure is rapid, gentle and permanent restoration of the health and or removal and annihilation of the disease in its whole extent, in the shortest, most reliable, most harmless way and on easily comprehensible principles.” – Hahnemann
Homoeopathy was founded by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann of Germany at the end of eighteenth century. On continuous experiments with known medicinal substances, he proved and verified the hypothesis that the potential of any drug substance to produce transient artificial disease is the curative property of that drug against similar natural disease. This natural law of healing is the fundamental principle of homoeopathy. The patient is considered in his totality. Each sign and symptom is perceived as regards to its location, sensation, modality and concomitants (associated complaints).
Homoeopathic medicines are essentially experimented first on healthy human beings. Depending upon the susceptibility or sensitivity of the person, the doses and level of dilution (potency) and the mode of repetition is selected.
FUNDAMENTAL CAUSE OF DISEASE
Like the ‘Tridosha’ concept of Ayurveda, Homoeopathy also has its concept of miasms (basic disease-producing diathesis as undercurrent). These basic disease-producing tendencies, partly inherited from parents and partly acquired by the person, make specific combinations of the three miasms. This is the fundamental cause of disease. Therefore homoeopathic remedies are capable of controlling diseases even before they arise.
MODE OF ADMINISTRATION OF HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINES
Homoeopathic remedies are given in higher dilutions called potencies. For dispensing, lactose sugar pills (vehicle) are moistened in the dilution of a drug and are administered. This is the reason why homoeopathic medicines look alike and have the same taste.
LIMITATIONS OF HOMOEOPATHY
In homoeopathic therapy, it is the person’s own vitality which is triggered to eradicate the disease by creating an artificial transient crisis specifically needed for that totality. Hence the conditions where the vitality of the individual (like advanced cancer) is too low, patients may not respond well.
SAIIIHR’s Homoeopathic Clinic & Research Centre started functioning from 8 February 2000, where free Homoeopathic treatment and various types of clinical research in homoeopathy are conducted.
A free homoeopathic treatment is given to all who come to this clinic. It is manned by four qualified homoeopathic physicians with supporting staff.
This clinic is presently located in an area of 1,200 sq. ft and about 400 cases are looked after per month.
I. The Keloid Research Project
The Keloid Research Project was initiated to study the scope for treatment of keloids in Homoeopathy compared to Allopathy. Keloid is the clinical term for scars that progressively increase in size and invade the skin surrounding the healing wound, producing bulky tumourous tissue. Under this study, 307 cases have been studied.
• The project was carried out under the auspices of the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare Department, India
• Interdisciplinary collaboration of two systems Homoeopathy and Allopathy
• Collaboration of two institutions SAIIIHR and Department of Plastic Surgery, Jawaharlal Nehru Postgraduate Institute for Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry
• Duration of project: three years
Aims of the Project
To collect maximum information on keloids in homoeopathy to treat keloids using homoeopathic principles Carry out a comparative study of Homoeopathy vs. Allopathy in the treatment of keloids.
Need for the Project
• There has been no comparative study on this condition till now
• Failure of conventional therapy
• A condition that occurs more often in dark-skinned people and hence is common in south India
• Despite many advances in modern medicine, there is no single effective measure to treat keloids. Surgery was the initial modality but frequently resulted in recurrences. Irradiation alone or combined with surgery was popular until their mutagenic and carcinogenic properties decreased their usefulness. Steroids lead to harmful side-effects and recurrences. The efficacy of ultrasound and laser therapy is doubtful and pressure therapy cannot be applied everywhere. In patients with multiple and large keloids involving extensive areas, even symptomatic relief was not possible.
• A pilot study, conducted at SAIIIHR by Dr. Vandana showed promising results
• Homoeopathy is the only therapeutic method that can offer a rapid, gentle and permanent treatment